We are proud to present the New York Premiere of THE WAR PARTY as part of the New York International Fringe Festival – FringeNYC. It was originally inspired by Republican Linda Smith’s hard-fought 1998 Senatorial race, which she lost to Democratic opponent Patty Murray. The play has enjoyed previous productions at the Seattle Public Theatre in Washington and Interact Theatre in Philadelphia, PA, both in 2008. Further updated by playwright Vincent Delaney after a developmental reading with Up Theatre Company in January 2018, this timely satire is even more relevant today given our current political climate and culture!
SYNOPSIS: It’s 3 am on election night. Campaign headquarters is outfitted for a huge celebration; streamers, posters, champagne. But, the room is dead quiet. Laura Smith, the Republican incumbent, and supposed favorite lost her Senate race in a landslide. Suddenly without friends, and drunk as a skunk, Laura is thinking of cashing it all in…that is, until one of her loyal and spunky interns, Jesse, rescues her from the brink of disaster and wrestles her, quite literally, back to political life. A timely and provocative satire where two women engage in a charged cat and mouse game – complete with food fights, endless drinking and girls kissing. With the uninvited ghost of FDR, THE WAR PARTY is a modern political parable about our broken two-party system.
- Carl Pasbjerg, for his mad GM and Producing skills and his advice on everything
- Allison Pasbjerg, for the campaign poster art design under the direction of Rob Bissinger, Scenic Designer
- Mike Pilipski, for the help obtaining personal props for FDR – wheelchair, canes, leg braces
- UP Theater Company – (James Bosley, Art. Dir., Laura Fois Bosley, Mgn. Dir., Rik Walter, Production Director) for the January 2018 developmental reading of The War Party.
- Martha Granger, Photographer, for the production photos
- Lee Brock and The Barrow Group for their support and encouragement
- Christopher Klaich, for his graphic design expertise and general support of an anxious first-time producer
- John Valle, Jose Valle and Corinne Edgerly, for securing and allowing us to use their wheelchair for rehearsals
- Hannah Roessler, for joining our team as a Production Assistant and expertly jumping in wherever needed